Kind LED Grow Light Review
LED stands for light emitting diode – this technology is starting to become the first choice for new growers, mainly because it decreases electricity consumption and other overall risks are reduced by a landslide, compared to previous technology. Kind is among one of the leading LED grow light manufacturers, and for good reason. We took the time to review some of their best fixtures and we pointed out what makes them worth that initial investment with some of their top choices being the K3 L600, K5 XL1000 and K5 XL750. The K3 L600 in particular is mostly aimed at smaller growers and first-timers who want to see results fast but don’t have a large initial investment. For the price and range, it’s one of their best lamps so far.
Even though Kind isn’t the sole company that growers associate with LED grow lights, many people love using Kind products because it was founded by experienced growers, not merely entrepreneurs trying to make a profit. They’ve had decades of combined experience prior to creating these top of the line fixtures and they’ve literally spent years developing the first few models. There are some serious advantages to using Kind LED grow lights and bear in mind these features don’t just sound good on paper, they completely live up to the promise.
I grow 8 plants in a 4 by 8 foot tent and have been using two 1000 watt MH and HPS lights. Those lights have been great (though 600 watts would have been better), but I finally decided take the LED plunge. Heat was the main reason, but I like the idea of spending less on power, too. And not needing to change bulbs. After weeks of research I narrowed my choice down to Kind LED K5. The XL1000 is billed as equivalent to a 1000 watt HPS light, but most growers report lower yields. Much of that is due to the differences in growing with HPS light and with LED light. Once you’ve gotten used to the differences, you can expect yields close to those of a 1000 watt HPS bulb, but probably a little less. The quality will be higher, though. The XL1000 uses 630 watts when run at full power, so you’ll definitely see a lower electric bill versus HPS, but maybe not quite as low as some would have you believe. Remember: 630 watts is still a lot of power. It’s also important to note that you only need to use full power during flowering.
Kind LED Grow Light Review
- Extra Large footprint solves one of the main problems that LED lights have faced in the past. Because of historically small footprints, due to small circuit board construction, LED lights have always failed to deliver the finished harvest weights promised in comparison to their said HPS counterparts. Truly lit square footage of canopy space is a very crucial component to overall harvest weight. Kind LED features high quality diodes intensified with secondary optical lenses and spread over an extra large housing, now providing true footprint replacements for 750w and 1000w HPS. Finally, with Kind LED, harvest weights are true to spec.
- Fully customizable spectrum allows the user to not only adjust the spectrum to match vegetative and flowering stages of their plants, but also allows for specific spectrum control for nearly any type of plant genus in applications such as greenhouse growing and in agriculture operations where crop rotation, or crop zoning, is common.
- UL LISTED Our K5 Series LED Grow Lights meet the most stringent safety standards, allowing you to grow with confidence.
- Internal timing function of the K5 series lights allows for more streamline setups where the user can do away with separate analog or digital timers that can be bulky and extremely unreliable. Now, all light cycles are programmed and changed from a convenient remote.
- 8 stage ‘mother earth’ timing function allows user to mimic the great outdoors like never before seen in indoor growing, slowly waking your plants up in the morning and seeing them to bed every night. 8 separately set stages allow for light to gently turn on in the ‘morning’ (sunrise), intensify into full power (full day sun), then gently turn off in the ‘evening’ (sunset). Each of these stages can be set to the user’s desired duration and desired spectrum intensities.
- Perfect mix of 3 watt and 5 watt diodes create the ideal amount of usable light for lush, healthy, huge plants. 5 watt LED diodes are awesome. They emit an intense amount of light and have the ability to penetrate the plants canopy like no other. But, too many 5 watt LED chips, and a light can run too hot, doing away with one of the main benefits of LED lights. The K5 series lights have the best of both worlds. The ‘sweet spot’ efficiency of the 3 watt LED chips, mixed with the harvest boosting power of the 5 watt LED chips.
True to spec harvest expectations. When we say our XL1000 replaces a 1000 HPS, we mean it. In order to be a reputable company, one must not make false claims that their product can’t support. Let’s face it, no LED light that only draws 350 watts is going to replace a 1000 watt HPS, period. We make reasonable claims at KIND LED. We have found, through extensive testing and research, that a 40-50% savings in electricity is what you can expect from our lights. Our 1000 watt equivalent light draws about 630 watts or 63% of what a 1000 watt HPS would typically pull. But that’s just the light!! Add up all the other savings in equipment needed for heat management in a traditional HPS room, and the energy savings are even more remarkable. All functions of the K5 series are run from a convenient remote. We here at KIND LED are still scratching our heads as to how most LED companies think people are able to flip an analog switch or knob to control spectrum or switch between modes on their lights when they are in the middle of a grow and their light(s) are hanging above a huge canopy of delicate plants!!! Our lights are fully controlled from a convenient handheld remote. Control 1 or 100 simultaneously from one small device. Our lights use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) dimming. Some lights use archaic methods of dimming that only lessen the brightness of the light being emitted, while still pulling the same amount of energy out of the wall. PWM dimming allows the light to only consume as much power as it needs to drive the diodes at their set level of brightness. Sexy, sleek design. Man, there are some ugly LED lights out there. Function over fashion is a must in lighting, but we have both.
LED vs. HPS
These Kind LED grow lights use only about half the electricity as HPS lights, and produce much more yield per watt. Many studies have even show an increase in oil production and quality, closer inter-nodal spacing, and denser fruits and flowers. Also, because these Kind LED grow lights produce less heat, they do not need to be air-cooled like HPS lights, therefore eliminating the need for additional fans, which also makes them run quieter. Kind LED lights run cool, so cool in fact that no additional temperature control equipment is needed besides the internal circulation fans. Lower light temperatures lead to a much more easily maintained ideal grow environment in which your plants would thrive. Because the individual diodes of a Kind LED light are set to a specific color and in a specific proportion, we are able to emit the exact spectrum that a developing plant would need to thrive, with little to no waste. The 12 band complete spectrum is designed to perfectly match the growth needs of your plants. Kind LED Growers will be able to simplify their grow rooms, save on electrical consumption, keep their rooms cooler, and perhaps most importantly, experience a marked increase in the quality of their fruits, flowers, and BUDS.